Oy vey…the dreaded post baby body…I don’t even know where to begin. Let’s face it, we can’t all look like Heidi Klum right after we give birth. I mean, is she even human? She looked unbelievable just a month after delivery.
I admit, it has been hard on this mama, battling the pregnancy bulge. I imagined the extra weight would just fall off, but I soon realized I was not going to get my body back without a fight! Weight Watchers meals and water with lemon doesn’t cut it, hard work and dedication does.
To be fair to my body, I enjoyed 4 wonderful months of maternity leave and although it was amazing, my health and wellness were the last things on my mind. I spent many days at home taking care of Hunter, watching mindless T.V. taking very little time for myself. When I decided to go back to work, I knew that I had to make fitness a part of my weekly lifestyle. And so I did!
I know, it’s hard to find time for yourself. But I promise, somehow you can scrape it from your schedule. The timing may not be ideal, but it is important to set aside time for just yourself, no baby, no interruptions! Whether it’s going for a walk with weights or hitting the gym, you need to reserve the time.
Motivation is also key. It is easy to get distracted from your goals and brush off your time for working out and eating healthy. Luckily, I have a co-worker who keeps me in check. She will email me and ask what I have done this week as far as work outs and what I am eating, etc. And I do the same for her. We also remind each other why we started. Personally, I just want to feel and look like myself again.
Here are some tips to get back on track:
1. Pack your lunch. It may take a few minutes each night, but it will save you money and help you lose weight. We tend to make bad decisions when we buy prepared food from a cafeteria, because we really don’t know what is in it. So ditch the fast food and bring a brown bag.
2. Find a fellow workout mama and push each other. You can motivate one another to reach your goals. Whether you hit the gym together or send inspiring texts, working with a partner is always better then doing it alone.
3. Count calories. I am addicted to My Fitness Pal. You can track everything, and I mean everything you eat. It’s a free app you can download right to your smart phone. It helps keep you honest about your eating habits – even when snacking!
4. Keep a snack in you purse. Some of my WORST food decisions are made when I am starving or stressed. We find instant gratification with a cookie or a brownie, but remember ladies, a moment on the lips is forever on the hips. So I like to keep protein bars or rice cakes in my purse. Find out what your go to healthy snack is and keep it on hand. I also like to eat a snack before I go out to dinner. This way I eat less and have plenty of leftovers to take home.
5. Don’t beat yourself up! Take it day by day. Sometimes I look at pre-prego pictures and get so discouraged. But I just remind myself of how lucky I am to have a healthy, beautiful baby and I’m on cloud nine. I know I will get back to where I once was, but I need to take it a day at a time. Don’t sweat the small stuff!
Happy Thursday, Mama’s! Have a great weekend.